Team member resigns and in your haste to find a replacement you dismiss the thought of carrying out an exit interview………..
BUT exit interviews can provide valuable information to a company which can help to assess;
- What you do well
- What areas could be redefined or enhanced and
- What areas require improvement
Here are our top tips
- Arrange the exit interview the week (or a few days) before the employees end date and ensure the person carrying out the meeting is not their line manager.
- Use an exit interview form this will ensure that you are applying a consistent approach and where possible, support this with a face-to-face meeting. This will generally result in more conversations that are productive.
- Make the employee aware that any information disclosed and shared as part of the exit interview process, will only be disclosed to those that need to know i.e. e Board/Senior Management and will only be used for the purposes of improving, refining current areas or to highlight trends and themes.
- Be prepared, whilst team members are more likely to give you an open and honest review of their experience with the company during the exit interview, some may be brutally frank with their responses.
This blog has been prepared for general guidance on matters of interest only, and does not constitute professional advice. You should not act upon the information contained in this blog without obtaining specific professional advice. No representation or warranty (express or implied) is given as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this blog and, to the extent permitted by law, Wilder Coe LTD, or its Members, Partners, employees and agents do not accept or assume any liability, responsibility or duty of care for any consequences of you or anyone else acting, or refraining to act, in reliance on the information contained in this blog or for any decision based on it.
Please contact Wilder Coe for further information and bespoke professional advice, tailored to your circumstances, on any matters of specific interest to you.