With a number of new rules introduced, the whole area of stamp taxes is becoming increasingly complicated. It is a daunting task for anyone to work out how much they need to pay, and also ensure they meet their compliance obligations with HMRC and file returns when required. Stamp taxes will apply on almost every transaction and therefore it is something which always needs to be considered.
We can provide a comprehensive service on all aspects of stamp duty, stamp duty land tax (SDLT) and the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED).
With stamp duty payable on the purchase of UK shares, and SDLT applying on acquisitions of UK land interests, every business will encounter stamp taxes at some point. Whether you are looking at a corporate reorganisation, re-structuring your asset-holding with a view to an exit, renewing your occupational lease, or buying a portfolio of investment properties, we can assist. We can provide you with bespoke advice which combines our technical experience with an understanding of your business.
With the SDLT rules around buying and owning UK property becoming increasingly complex, and new rates introduced in Budget 2016, with different treatment for residential and non-residential properties, as well as a potential 15% charge for acquisitions of residential properties by companies, there is a significant risk in this area. The potential for significant tax leakage can impact not only disposal profits and deal costs but the financial viability of projects.
We can help guide you through the rules, advise you on any available reliefs and structure your transaction to manage your exposure.
We will look at the overall tax position and provide you with solutions which combine our expertise in the areas of corporate tax, VAT, stamp taxes, inheritance tax and capital gains tax to give you a joined-up service.
We can help you in various ways by…
Supporting Clients on Transactions
- Due diligence
- Pre-sale health checks
- Reviewing legal documents
- Advising on tax warranties & indemnities
- Corporate re-organisations & exit planning
- Identifying historic stamp duty/SDLT exposure on unwinding property structures
- SDLT on incorporation of partnerships
- Identifying claw-back risk from historic reliefs
- Providing comfort to lenders on tax risk
Adding Value by…
- Making the most of available reliefs
- Structuring share purchases to reduce costs
- Managing the security position in re- financing
- Managing exposure on lease renewals
Helping clients pay the right amount of tax by…
- Advising on ATED filing requirements
- Residential v non-residential rates
- Advising on disclosure to HMRC
- Providing education and guidance